Friday, November 21, 2008

That 80s Show

Last night we went to On Broadway to see The 80s Show and had great fun. I am showing my age when I say that it was my era, matric and the first years of Varisty. It was a wonderful trip of nostalgia for me, with each song fetching old memories long forgotten. The show started with snatches of TV show theme tunes which had us all guessing. I obviously spent a lot of time in front of the TV back then.

I loved the way each costume change introduced a new 80s feature such as the leg warmers, Madonna fish net glove, the fighter pilot sunglasses and, oh my goodness, the white jacket. There was the lovely recognition and the cringe factor of "did we really wear that?" There was a nice touch of a DVD in the background with snippets from the 80s. I won't spoil it, but look out for the sketch - very well done and fascinating to watch the picture unfurl.

Part of the set were cubes which the cast kept moving around. I was being slow and didn't figure it out until someone told me it was supposed to be the rubic cubic cube - aah! Althought the moving around was slick, it did get irritating after a while. But hey I was too busy singing along, wriggling in my seat and clapping for all I was worth to really mind. What was great was that they included songs that didn't make it past the 80s but which were really hot back then. The cast had excellent voices and Bronwyn who sang "Must have been an Angel" and "Forever young" had the perfect voice and hit the high notes effortlessly. The medelys were great and provided a wonderful combination. Call for the encore, the medley is great. It was one of those evenings where I didn't want it to stop, just keep on singing.

Just a warning, my guests were more 60s and 70s children and although they remember the songs, sang along and had a great night out, felt that there was something missing - but then you can never say what is missing. So it won't necessarily appeal to everyone. It felt like a high school romp - but then that was my time. I would definitely go back again and see how the show develops during its run. I would love to hear what others thought of the show.
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our thoughts and comments on performances and the performing arts in the Western Cape, South Africa.