Thursday, November 13, 2008

Oy Vey, its Ida Levin

Paul and I were invited to see Ida Levin last week at The Carvery in Sea Point. It was a captivating journey through the highs and lows of this kugel's life. I must really congratulate Ida on the gracious way that she coped with the technical problems, the flu and static hair. It was done so well that it could have been part of the script. The first half was great, ending with the her left with nothing, and horror of horrors, living in Brakenfell (local Cape Town joke). It was a good combination of story telling with songs where the audience was invited to sing along.
I personally hate participative theatre as I feel such a twit - especially when it comes to singing - and so hide at the back. There was someone in the front who obviously didn't know that anyone who responds is fair game. I cringed on her behalf even though it was very funny.
The second half seemed to lose steam. Our friend George commented that Ida didn't come across as strongly kugel as in the first half - maybe the 'flu got to her. During the evening George and I had a debate as to whether Ida was a woman or a man. I was convinced that she is a man as the build is not quite right, eventhough she has a stunning figure and I love the fabulous clothes. Despite the technical hitches it was a good night out, and I must admit that I am a sucker for sing-alongs, must be the Brit in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our thoughts and comments on performances and the performing arts in the Western Cape, South Africa.