Thursday, January 24, 2013

Art in the Open Air

One of the things that I love is listening to music in the open air, especially classical music. My favourite event is Opera in a Convent Garden.  All my friends know that Paul and I are unavailable on the first Sunday of February as we are picnicing to the most beautiful music in a wonderful setting. Others are the Kirstenbosch concerts, Nederburg Starlight Concert and De Waal Park.

I like being able to sit back comfortably in my deck chair or on the ground close my eyes and just revel in the sounds and experience. I also enjoy having my glass of refreshment and snacking on tasty treats. Very different from sitting in a chair in an auditorium. It is a perception (not reality but it clouds my thinking) of the formal venues such as City Hall as being uncomfortable. However that is never the issue when I am there. Curious, but maybe the paradox of being human.

I know that more informal settings increase the difficulties of performance in terms of the requirements of musical instruments, logistics and of course the weather, but somehow the performance is more personal and much more enjoyable.I suppose it raises the isssue of the need to present a perfect performance (possibly the high art agenda) versus the need to meet audience demands. Is it acceptable to respond to the demands of the audience if it will affect the "quality" of the performance. There again should art not be adapted to go to its audience rather than hide behind "high art" hidden in the theatres? How can we be an art loving nation if it is not all around us? But is there money in getting art out there? Lots of interesting questions...

There are quite a few articles on individualising the performance experience. the LA Times looks at how the Music Centre is using the outdoor park as a performance venue. BBC News has an interesting article on The Silent Opera. That sounds like a really interesting way of experiencing opera.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Our thoughts and comments on performances and the performing arts in the Western Cape, South Africa.